Sciatica is a neural problem which affects the sciatic nerves that start from the lower back and extends to back portion of legs. Sciatica causes severe pain in the buttock region, and this pain spreads in various parts of the leg till the calf muscle. It causes numbness, weakness and a scratchy effect in the affected portion.
According to Bathurst Chiropractor Dr. Ben Purcell, Sciatica arises due to stress or pain in the sciatic nerve, and this often affects the root area or other portion of the nerve located in the lower part of the body.
Common Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica shows various symptoms when they occur, but it becomes hard to find the exact cause. Dr. Purcell depicts that the symptoms vary from people to people because sciatic nerve starts from different spinal level. The following points will describe some common symptoms, and they are:
- Burning and itchy feeling in the lower part of the body is the most common symptom that is felt by most of the patients.
- Severe pain near the leg region or buttock is another common symptom which gets worse in the sitting position.
- Shooting type pain that hinders the ability to stand up properly and move.
- Problem with moving the foot along with weakness and numbness are some frequent signs observed in a Sciatica patient.
Causes of Sciatica
Pressure or stress on the sciatic nerve is the most cause that gives rise to sciatica; although there are some other reasons that also lead to the pain associated with sciatica. These causes are:
- Narrowing of the spinal canal or spinal stenosis.
- Pregnancy in the woman causing strain on the sciatic nerve.
- When one vertebra slips and its comes over another vertebra which gives rise to sciatica.
- Disc disease or dysfunction in the spine is another common cause of sciatica.
Sciatica Treatment with Chiropractic Care
Sciatica can hit anyone whether he or she works in an office or physical work. However, things get worse during sneezing, bending, pregnancy, etc. Most of the causes arise due to pressure and swelling in sciatic nerve root. Chiropractic treatment may reduce the pain and will help you in leading a normal daily life. The sciatic treatment includes:
- Adjustment in the spinal joints that has been affected by dysfunction.
- Rehabilitation stretches and exercises to accurate any postural defect.
- Curbing down muscle tension by correcting the position of the joints which assist in releasing the pain in the muscle.
- Improving the ergonomics in work and home and following the bits of advice on sitting, lifting, standing and other movements.
So, if you want to get out of the sciatic pain and curb the causes of sciatic pain, then you should opt for chiropractic sciatica treatment. Seeking help early would make the diagnosis and treatment easier and the experience much less traumatic.